Menu
Book Online

History

Schillingshof was originally a farmhouse, called Harrerhof, which was built in 1832. The corresponding property then reached from Hörnlewald, the forest on the foot of the mountain Hörnle, accross the roads called Harrer- and Hainerstrasse, to what is now called Alpenhof across the road Fallerstrasse down to what is now Schillingsweg and ended at the bridge over the canyon.

In 1897 the owner sold the farmhouse and the property to Dr. Eugen Schilling, founder and manager of the gasworks of Augsburg. The farmhouse became Schillingshof and was in the beginning the summer residence of the Schillings’ clan, who lived in Munich.

 

At the end of World War I Eugen Schilling moved to Bad Kohlgrub for good. In the course of time some of the rooms in the former farmhouse became guest rooms which were let to „Sommerfrischler”, what holiday guests were called in Bavaria in that time.

But by skiing becoming a leisure activity, increasingly guests have also been accommodated in wintertime. Eugen Schilling died on July 4th in 1941 in Bad Kohlgrub and it is said that he was buried in the bell tower of the parish church St. Martin.

 

After World War II his daughter Elisabeth, with married name Hainer, inherited the estate and took it as a guesthouse but now there have already been a restaurant and a café.

After Elisabeth’s death in 1947 it took about two years to divide the legacy up in three pieces: to her daughter a married Keilmann and two nieces.

The greater part of the property with farm house and guesthouse was given to the daughter, from the two nieces each got a building plot near what is now called Schillingsweg and forestland on the Hörnle.

 

In 1952 the farm house was extended for the first time and rooms for the first mud treatments were built against it. From this year on in every winter new buildings have been constructed or already existing buildings extended. By this time Bad Kohlgrub had become a well-known health resort and attracted a great number of visitors.

Hotel Schillingshof in the 1970th

 

In 1981 Frau Göricke (neé Keimann) sold Schillingshof and part of the property. The new owner was Mr. Willi O Hoffmann, former president of FC Bayern München, who took the modern  Hausherrenmodell (tax beneficial scheme for building residential properties) for the real estate.

 

He sold the house that had evolved to a considerable spa hotel in the meantime to Accor Hotel Group. It was run as spa hotel Schillingshof quasi „white-label”.

In 1987 Dieter Müller became the new owner. Schillingshof together with two other resorthotels were the first hotels and the beginning of the successful Hotel Group ASTRON Hotels with a recent result of 60 houses in Germany and other Europe. Hotel Schillingshof developed in a prosperous spa and congress hotel.

 

After ASTRON HOTELS had been sold to the Spanish Hotel Group NH Hotels in 2002 Hotel Schillingshof remained property of Mr. Müller, it became part of the new Motel One Hotel Group and was thoroughly renovated and furnished with care.

Schillingshof today

 

Today the property is fully privately owned again.

 

In the course of a „Management buy out” the couple Patricia and Randolf Thomas were able to acquire Schillingshof. Now it is again a family managed hotel focusing wellness and meeting sectors.

Hotel Schillingshof GmbH
Fallerstraße 11
D-82433 Bad Kohlgrub

 

Tel.: + 49 - 8845 - 70 10